sábado, 14 de octubre de 2017

MODAL VERBS TEXT

MODAL VERBS TEXT


Maggie: Hi Tom, have you finished your homework?

Tom: Oh hi Maggie. No, I haven’t.

Maggie: The deadline is tomorrow you know so
you have to submit it tomorrow.

-In this sentence, "have to" is used by Maggie to express obligation; the deadline is tomorrow so the homework has to be obligatory submitted by then.

Tom: I can’t make it. I haven’t even started it yet. Can we hand it in next week?

-"Can´t" is used to express that there are not possibilities to hand the homework tomorrow; it seems impossible.

-"Can" used as a question word in this specific context asks for any possibilities to submit the homework after.

Maggie: I don’t know. I think you must finish it by tomorrow. She probably won’t accept projects after tomorrow.

-"Must" here express obligation; Maggie highlights that it is an obligation to hand the project tomorrow with no exceptions.

-"Won´t", the short form of "will not", is used to reflect probability about the future; Maggie tries to convince Tom about the deadline.

Tom: I’ve had so many other things to do. I couldn’t even start it. I don’t know what to do.

-"Could" indicates possibility or ability in the past so, here "couldn´t" means that Tom was not able to start with the homework before. 

Maggie: Don’t worry, It’s not very difficult. I finished it in one day.

Tom: Really? Great!

Maggie: First, you should read the article that Mrs. Robinson gave us. It’s about the Mohican Civilization. Then,
you have to design a poster for a play about them – the Mohicans – for the theatre. 

-Maggie uses "should" here recommending Tom to read the article that their teacher gave them. 

-"Have to", as mentioned before, means here obligation to design a poster. 

Tom: Yeah I know but it looks a bit difficult...

Maggie: Not at all...

Tom: Well, I think I can do it. What title shall I use? 

-"Can" is used by Tom to express ability; he thinks that he will be able to finish the homework in time. 

-"Shall" is a polite form which is used here to ask about some options that Tom could use. 

Maggie: You  mustn’t use the same title as anyone else in our class.You have to create your own title.

-"Mustn´t", the negative form of "must", here indicates prohibition to copy the title from others; it has to be original.

-"Have to" as mentioned before expresses obligation to create a different and personal title. 

Tom: Okay!

Maggie: Alright?

Tom: Yes, thank you so much Maggie.

Maggie: No problem. Good luck!

TEXT EXTRACTED FROM: (
http://www.photocopiables.com/sites/default/files/modal-verbs_reading_comprehension_0.pdf) 


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

THE LAST ENTRY - Marta Reinaldos Pérez

PERSONAL OPINION  From my personal viewpoint I reckon that the blog is a good idea to improve our writing and  fluency. However, sometimes...